For the News Anchor
My new favorite local teevee personality. I have no idea who this guy is, but I am
hoping my BFF, Eduardo, knows since he impliments electronic media & graphics
for ABC 13.
Saturday, May 31
Friday, May 30
10 Banned Classic Books
1. The Call of the Wild by Jack London was banned in Yugoslavia and Italy and was burned by Nazis.
2. The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck was banned in many places across the U.S., but was particularly banned in California because the book depicted the state badly.
3. The Lorax by Dr. Seuss has been banned across the U.S. for it’s allegorical political commentary.
4. Ulysses by James Joyce was banned for sexual content. The ban was overturned in a court case called the United States vs. One Book Called Ulysses.
5. All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria Remarque was banned in Nazi Germany for insulting the Wehrmacht.
6. Animal Farm by George Orwell was delayed in the U.K. because of its anti-Stalin theme. It was confiscated in Germany by Allied troops, banned in Yugoslavia in 1946, banned in Kenya in 1991 and banned in the United Arab Emirates in 2002.
7. As I Lay Dying by William Faulkner was banned in Kentucky because it was “anti-Christian” and contained bad language.
8. Black Beauty by Anna Sewell was banned in South Africa in 1955 for using the world “Black” in the title.
9. The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger was banned in lots of places across the U.S. because the character exhibited “inappropriate” behavior, plus bad language and sexual content.
10. The Giver by Lois Lowry was banned in a few states including California and Kentucky for addressing issues such as euthanasia.
Via Mental Floss
"A Christian group based in San Diego found grounds for outrage over the new retro-style logo for Starbucks Coffee. The Resistance says the new image "has a naked woman on it with her legs spread like a prostitute".
Instead of worrying about other things going on in the world. This is the sort of thing
'The Reisitance' is concerned about?
Thursday, May 29
Wonder Woman vs. Superman
Vedeze is a Belgian cartoonist who uses existing photographs to create his satirical and topical imagery. Most of his work is focused on the current Belgian socio-political situation (Vedeze is also a supporter of the “Save Solidarity” movement, which aims at saving the bonds between Flemings and Walloons). Some, as this example proves, will probably also be understood by viewers from other countries."
Whatever that means...I am sure my Belgian 'work husband' knows. Hugo is the Apple IT guy. Those IT folks know everything.
The New JLA Team
Robinson's forthcoming series "Justice League" will star Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Supergirl, Batwoman, The Atom (Ray Palmer), Shazam (Freddy Freeman), Congorilla and Starman (Mikaal Tomas).
Congorilla? Really? Congorilla?
Of All Things to Worry About...
"Dunkin' Donuts has pulled an online ad starring Rachael Ray after conservative bloggers suggested the scarf she wore in the ad looked like a keffiyeh, a traditional headdress worn by Arab men that some associate with jihad. Margie Myers, senior VP-communications for Dunkin' Brands, said in a statement, 'Absolutely no symbolism was intended.' Margie Myers, senior VP-communications for Dunkin' Brands, said in a statement, 'Absolutely no symbolism was intended.'
"In a recent online ad, Rachael Ray is wearing a black-and-white silk scarf with a paisley design. It was selected by the stylist for the advertising shoot," Margie Myers, senior VP-communications for Dunkin' Brands, said in a statement. "Absolutely no symbolism was intended."
War, economy, HIV/AIDS, Cancer, global warming & this is someone's focus?
Wednesday, May 28
My Signature Color
"Orange is a vibrant color that brings out energy, stimulates emotion, conversation and even hunger. When I visualize orange I see nature; the sunset, flowers in bloom and turning leaves. When I taste orange, it tastes like sweet citrus or spices. It is a color that is alive, fun loving and expressive. The Color Orange is inspired by what the painter Kandinsky said when he stated that the color orange is in fact red that has been made more human by the color yellow" as written by a fellow blogger Daniellw Hirsch.
Tuesday, May 27
"Apple just filed a patent to infuse their hand-helds and computers with a thin film of solar cells, paving the way for a new generation of gadgets with battery life boosted by the sun. The patent approaches the prospect from every angle, with schematics to stack photovoltaic cells beneath the entire surface of their portables - including the screen!"
The Drowsy Chaperone
This Memorial Day weekend Eric & I saw The Drowsy Chaperone. I have wanted to see this show since forever and a day. One of the best Broadway type shows I have seen in recent memory. The other was The Color Purple last year in NYC.
See a Moment Here
Monday, May 26
2008 Visa Championships
This past weekend my galpals, my partner Eric and I went to the Men's Gymnastics competition at Reliant Arena in Houston. Winners there eventually make it to Beijing. Shown are some photos of the competitors. Next Saturday it may be televised.
Thank you, Klinka & Dina